Current Affairs 14 Dec 2018 in English
December 15, 2018
Current Affairs 14 Dec 2018 in English
Current Affairs 2018 in ENGLISH – Candidates who are preparing for gov jobs can check the current affairs of 14 Dec 2018 in English. GK Current Affairs 2018. Current Affairs in India
Current Affairs 14 Dec 2018 in English
Updated daily current affairs for 14 Dec 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
Important Current Affairs 14 Dec 2018 In English
Govt of India to set up NMDPC under DIPP
- The government of India announced setting up of a ‘National Medical Devices Promotion Council’ (NMDPC) under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in the Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- The Council will be headed by Secretary of DIPP.
- It will act as a promotion and developmental body for the Indian Medical Devices Industry (MDI).
4 Indian PSUs in top 100 arms producers
- As per the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute’s (SIPRI) latest rankings, four Indian companies figure among the world’s top 100 arms producers in 2017.
- The four companies are Indian Ordnance Factories (Rank 37), Hindustan Aeronautics (Rank 38), Bharat Electronics (Rank 64), and Bharat Dynamics (Rank 94).
- Lockheed Martin of the United States got the 1st rank.
Dam Safety bill introduced in Lok Sabha
- The government of India introduced the ‘Dam Safety Bill’ in the Lok Sabha on 12 December 2018.
- The bill will help states and union territories adopt uniform procedures to ensure the safety of reservoirs.
- The bill also provides for surveillance, inspection, operation, and maintenance of specified dams to prevent dam failure related disasters.
Tata Steel won the Prime Minister’s Trophy
- Private steel major Tata Steel Limited won the Prime Minister’s Trophy for the ‘Best Performing Integrated Steel Plant’ in the country for 2016-17.
- It also won the award for 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- It was the fourth consecutive year when the company was honoured with this award.
- The award has been instituted to recognize the outstanding performance of integrated steel plants in the country.
‘Doordarshan Mahila Kisan’ Awards launched
- Prasar Bharati Chairman Dr A Surya Prakash launched ‘Doordarshan Mahila Kisan’ Awards programme on DD Kisan Channel in New Delhi on 14 December 2018.
- The award is an effort to bring the stories of struggle and success of women farmers in front of the country.
- The women farmers have been selected by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
WPI inflation falls to 4.64% in November
- Inflation based on wholesale prices fell to a three-month low of 4.64% in November 2018, as prices of food articles, especially vegetables reduced.
- The Wholesale Price Index (WPI)-based inflation stood was 5.28% in October 2018 and 4.02% in November 2017.
- Vegetables, too, became cheaper with deflation at 26.98% in November 2018 as compared to 18.65% in October 2018.
Coast Guard launches ‘Operation Oliva’
- The Indian Coast Guard launched the ‘Operation Oliva’ exercise at the Gahirmatha marine sanctuary in Odisha.
- The aim of the exercise is to protect the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles during their breeding season.
- A state-of-the-art Coast Guard ship is maintaining round-the-clock vigil along the coastal shoreline.
Govt forms panel to select Managing Directors
- The government of India constituted a seven-member panel to select Managing Directors of public sector insurance companies.
- The panel would be headed by Banks Board Bureau (BBB) Chairman BP Sharma.
- The other members of the panel are Financial Services Secretary, Department of Public Enterprises Secretary and Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India.
8 parliamentarians awarded by M Venkaiah Naidu
- Eight parliamentarians were honoured by Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu for their contribution in strengthening parliamentary democracy on 13 December 2018.
- Rajya Sabha MP Sharad Pawar and veteran leader Murli Manohar Joshi got the ‘Lifetime Achievement’ award.
- Ghulam Nabi Azad and BJP MP Nishikant Dubey were selected for the ‘Best Parliamentarians’ award 2018.
Haj agreement signed b/w India & Saudi Arabia
- India signed the ‘Bilateral Annual Haj 2019’ agreement with Saudi Arabia for the Haj pilgrimage on 13 December 2018.
- Union Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Saudi Arabia’s Haj and Umrah Minister Mohammad Taher signed the agreement at Jeddah.
- The capital of Saudi Arabia is Riyadh and its currency is Saudi Riyal
SEBI eased norms for FPIs and startups
- The SEBI eased norms for startup listings and allowed mutual funds to segregate distressed assets to safeguard investment returns.
- It also approved a proposal to expand the offer-for-sale mechanism for reduction of the stake in listed companies.
- It also cleared a proposal to allow custodial services in the commodity derivatives market to enable institutional participation.
Single cover for multiple vehicles allowed
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) allowed customers to buy one single Compulsory Personal Accident (CPA) cover for multiple vehicles.
- The cover will extend to all the vehicles driven by the policyholder and have a validity of one year.
- Currently, a vehicle buyer has to buy a CPA for every vehicle he or she purchases.
Global debt reached at $184 trillion
- According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), global debt has reached an all-time high of $184 trillion.
- The amount, in nominal terms, is the equivalent of 225% of the world GDP in 2017.
- The top three borrowers in the world are the United States, China, and Japan.
- In early 2018, the IMF had calculated the global debt to be around $182 trillion.
Govt sets up GoM on stressed power assets
- The government has constituted a Group of Ministers (GoM) to examine the recommendations made by a high-level panel on stressed power projects.
- The GoM will be headed by Arun Jaitley.
- The high-level panel on stressed power projects headed by Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha had submitted its report in November 2019.
National Energy Conservation Day: 14 December
- National energy conservation day is celebrated every year in India on 14 December.
- The aim of the day is to raise awareness about the importance of energy efficiency and conservation.
- The day was established by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in 2001 when they executed the Energy Conservation Act of India.
CBIC to notify Korean Won and Turkish Lira
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) will include ‘Korean Won’ and ‘Turkish Lira’ in the list of currencies for exchange rates for the purpose of valuing imports and exports.
- CBIC notifies the Rate of Exchange for the purpose of conversion of foreign exchange to Indian rupees for assessment of imports and exports.
- CBIC notifies the conversion under Customs Act, 1962.
Iranian Film ‘Dark Room’ won an award at IFFK
- Iranian movie ‘Dark Room’ bagged the ‘Suvarna Chakoram’ (The Golden Crow Pheasant) award in the 23rd edition of the International Film Festival of Kerala (IIFK) on 13 December 2018.
- The movie revolves around the efforts of the parents of a boy to identify the abusers of their child.
- ‘The Dark Room’ will get a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh, which will be shared with the producer.
Mauritius to organise Gita festival
- Mauritius Acting President Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory announced that Mauritius would organise the ‘Gita festival’ in February 2019.
- The International Gita festival was inaugurated in Haryana on 7 December 2018.
- Mauritius is the partner country and Gujarat is the partner state of the festival.
Jharkhand gets ‘Krishi Karman’ award
- Jharkhand has been selected for the ‘Krishi Karman’ award in the rice category from the Union Ministry of Agriculture on 13 December 2018.
- The award to be given away in February 2019 carries a cash prize of Rs 2 crore and a citation.
- Each farmer would be given a cash award of Rs 2 lakh along with citation.
Brijendra nominated as new President of FTII
- The Information and Broadcasting Ministry nominated Brijendra Pal Singh as the new President of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Society and Chairman of Governing Council on 13 December 2018.
- He is at present the Vice Chairman of the FTII Governing Council.
- The FTII functions as an autonomous body under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.