Current Affairs 16 Dec 2018 in English
December 17, 2018
Current Affairs 16 Dec 2018 in English
Current Affairs 2018 in ENGLISH – Candidates who are preparing for gov jobs can check the current affairs of 16 Dec 2018 in English. GK Current Affairs 2018. Current Affairs in India
Current Affairs 16 Dec 2018 in English
Updated daily current affairs for 16 Dec 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
Important Current Affairs 16th December 2018
Delhi HC quashed Centre’s ban on Oxytocin
- The Delhi High Court, on 14 December 2018, quashed the Central government’s decision to prohibit the sale, distribution, manufacturing and import of Oxytocin by private companies in India.
- Oxytocin was widely misused by farmers and the dairy industry.
- Oxytocin is a hormonal drug which is administered to induce labour pain, control bleeding after childbirth, or help new mothers lactate.
Denmark’s Foreign Affairs Minister arrives
- Foreign Affairs Minister of Denmark Anders Samuelsen arrived in New Delhi on a two-day official visit to India on 17 December 2018.
- Mr Samuelsen will meet External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
- They will hold discussions on various aspects of bilateral ties as well as important regional and multilateral issues.
- The capital of Denmark is Copenhagen and its currency is Danish krone
Novak & Simona named 2018 ITF world champions
- Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep were named as the ‘2018 ITF World Champions’ by the governing body of global tennis.
- Djokovic received the honour from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) for the sixth time.
- It is the first time that Romania’s top-ranked Halep has been named for ‘2018 ITF World Champions’.
French govt. honours producer Ashok Amritraj
- Film producer Ashok Amritraj was honoured with the ‘French Knight of the National Order of Merit’ on 14 December 2018.
- Mr Amritraj has been the producer of Hollywood films such as Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance with Nicholas Cage and 99 Homes starring Andrew Garfield.
- He was awarded for his contribution to the world of cinema and Indo-French film industry.
‘Soldierathon’ organised in New Delhi
- Sports Minister Col Rajyavardhan Rathore flagged off a special marathon ‘Soldierathon’ in New Delhi on 16 December 2018.
- The marathon was organised in the honour of Martyrs and wounded Soldiers.
- The proceeds from the event will be donated to Indian Army’s Artificial Limb Centre for wounded soldiers to help them acquire state-of-the-art prosthesis at the Paraplegic Rehabilitation Centre.
India extends $1.4 billion to Maldives
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced $1.4 billion financial assistance to the Maldives on 17 December 2018.
- The two countries also inked four pacts, including one on visa facilitation.
- Both countries vowed to deepen security cooperation in the Indian Ocean region.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi also held extensive talks with Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
Virat: 2nd fastest to score 25th Test century
- Virat Kohli became the second fastest batsman to score 25 Test centuries.
- He reached the milestone in 127 innings on Day 3 of the Perth Test between India and Australia on 16 December 2018.
- Sachin Tendulkar took 130 innings to score 25 Test centuries and is behind Virat Kohli.
- Don Bradman took just a mere 68 innings to score 25 Test hundreds.
Bihar’s Silao Khaja gets GI tag
- Geographical Indications Registry at Chennai has granted Geographical Indication(GI) tag to Silao Khaja on 11 December 2018.
- Silao Khaja is the traditional delicacy of Nalanda district of Bihar.
- Silao is located close to Buddhist sites.
- The application was filed by Silao Khaja Audyogik Swavalambi Sahakari Samiti Limited.
Indonesia’s Soputan volcano erupts
- Mount Soputan in central Indonesia has erupted, ejecting columns of thick ash as high as 7,500 metres into the sky on 16 December 2018.
- It is located on the northern part of Sulawesi island.
- Soputan is one among Indonesia’s more than 120 active volcanoes.
- Indonesia is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions due to its location on the ‘Pacific Ring of Fire’.
Shree Saini crowned ‘Miss India Worldwide’
- Indian-American Shree Saini won the ‘Miss India Worldwide 2018’ title at the 27th annual global pageant competition held in New Jersey on 15 December 2018.
- Sakshi Sinha from Australia and Anusha Sareen from United Kingdom were respectively declared first and second runner-ups.
- The competition was organised by the New York-based India Festival Committee.
Govt. notifies rules for mobile phone services
- On 16 December 2018, the government of India notified rules for providing in-flight & maritime mobile phone services.
- Indian and foreign airlines and shipping companies operating in the country can provide in-flight and maritime voice and data services with a valid Indian telecom licence holder.
- The connectivity can be provided using telecom networks on the ground as well as using satellite.
Singer, Pandit Arun Bhaduri passed away
- Renowned classical singer, Pandit Arun Bhaduri passed away on 17 December 2018.
- Pandit Bhaduri is considered to be one of the masters of Bengali songs and Bhajans.
- In 2014, he was conferred with the Bangabibhusan award.
- The veteran singer had served as a guru (teacher) at the ITC Sangeet Research Academy and was a top radio and television artiste.
Wickremesinghe reappointed as PM of Sri lanka
- Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe was reinstated by President Maithripala Sirisena on 16 December 2018.
- President Sirisena administered the oath that restored Wickremesinghe to the office of Prime Minister.
- In October 2018, President Sirisena dismissed the cabinet and replaced Wickremesinghe with former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Belgium won the ‘Hockey World Cup 2018’
- Belgium won the ‘Hockey World Cup 2018’ in Bhubaneswar on 16 December 2018.
- They defeated the Netherlands in a shoot-out in the final of the Men’s Hockey World Cup.
- The ‘Hockey World Cup 2018’ was held in Bhubaneswar, India from 28 November 2018 to 16 December 2018
- The 2014 Hockey World Cup was won by Australia.
Senior National Rowing Championship begins
- The 37th Senior National Rowing Championship began in the Army Rowing Node in Pune on 17 December 2018.
- Around 500 rowers and coaches from various rowing associations across the country will take part in the Championship.
- The Rowers for the World Championships – 2019 will be selected from this event.
- World Championship – 2019 is the first qualifying Championship for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
PV Sindhu won the BWF World Tour Finals
- PV Sindhu won the season-ending Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Finals tournament on 16 December 2018.
- She is the first Indian to win the gold medal in BWF World Tour Finals tournament.
- She defeated the Nozomi Okuhara in the final match.
Catriona won the ‘Miss Universe 2018’ title
- The Philippines’ Catriona Gray was named ‘Miss Universe 2018’ in the pageant competition concluding in Bangkok on 17 December 2018.
- She is the fourth person from the Philippines who has won the international beauty pageant.
- The first runner-up was Tamaryn Green of South Africa and the second runner-up was Sthefany Gutierrez of Venezuela.
Bhupesh Baghel is the new CM of Chattisgarh
- Bhupesh Baghel was appointed as the Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh.
- He took the oath of Chief Minister on 17 December 2018 in Raipur.
- Baghel will be Chhattisgarh’s third Chief Minister and the Congress’s second CM in the state.
Navy to inaugurate ‘Information Fusion Centre’
- The Navy will inaugurate the Information Fusion Centre (IFC) for the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- Through this Centre, information on ‘white shipping’, or commercial shipping, will be exchanged with countries in the region to improve maritime domain awareness in the Indian Ocean.
- The IFC has been established at the Navy’s Information Management and Analysis Centre (IMAC) in Gurugram, Haryana.
Cyclonic storm Phethai struck Andhra Pradesh
- The severe cyclonic storm ‘Phethai’ struck Andhra coast near Kakinada on 17 December 2018 with a wind speed of 70-90 km per hour.
- East and West Godavari, Visakhapatnam, Krishna, Vizianagaram, and Srikakulam districts of Andhra Pradesh and Yanam district of Puducherry are likely to experience very heavy rainfall.
- MET officials have warned of heavy rain in coastal Andhra Pradesh.