Current Affairs 18 Dec 2018 in English
December 19, 2018
Current Affairs 18 Dec 2018 in English
Current Affairs 2018 in English – Candidates who are preparing for gov jobs can check the current affairs of 18 Dec 2018 in English. GK Current Affairs 2018. Current Affairs in India
Updated daily current affairs for 18 Dec 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
Important Current Affairs 18 December 2018
Important Current Affairs 18th December 2018
Zaheer is Mumbai Indians’ Director of Cricket
- On 18 December 2018, Mumbai Indians appointed former Indian bowler Zaheer Khan as their director of cricket operations.
- He represented Mumbai Indians in Indian Premier League (IPL) 2009, 2010 and 2014.
- He took 29 wickets in 30 matches for the franchise.
- The Mumbai Indians is a franchise cricket team based in Mumbai and it is owned by Reliance Industries.
PM Modi launched projects in Maharashtra
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch infrastructure and housing projects worth around 41,000 crores rupees in Maharashtra on 18 December 2018.
- He also laid the foundation stone for two important metro corridors: Thane-Bhiwandi-Kalyan Metro and the Dahisar-Mira-Bhayander Metro in Thane district.
- He also launched mass housing scheme for economically weaker sections.
Cabinet approves establishment of 2 new AIIMS
- The Union Cabinet approved the establishment of two new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Madurai, Tamil Nadu and Bibinagar, Telangana.
- The AIIMS will be set up under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
- Establishment of new AIIMS involves creation of Hospital, Teaching Block for medical & nursing courses, residential complex and allied facilities/services.
Ramayana Circuit: 15 Destinations identified
- As per the Tourism Ministry, fifteen destinations have been identified for development under the Ramayana Circuit.
- Ramayana Circuit is one of the fifteen thematic circuits identified for development under the Swadesh Darshan scheme of the ministry.
- Ayodhya, Nandigram, Shringverpur, & Chitrakoot in Uttar Pradesh is among the destinations identified for development under the Ramayana Circuit.
PM releases the book ‘Timeless Laxman’
- The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, released the coffee table book ‘Timeless Laxman’ on 18 December 2018.
- The book is based on the famous cartoonist RK Laxman.
- RK Laxman was an Indian cartoonist, illustrator, and humorist.
- He was best known for his creation ‘The Common Man’ and for his daily cartoon strip, ‘You Said It’ in The Times of India.
Most-distant object ever discovered
- Scientists have discovered the most-distant body ever observed in our solar system.
- The new object was given the provisional designation of ‘2018 VG18’ and nicknamed ‘Farout’.
- It is located over 100 times farther than Earth is from the Sun.
- ‘2018 VG18’ is located about 120 astronomical units (AU) from earth.
- 1 AU is defined as the distance between the Earth and the Sun.
‘Period. End of Sentence’ in Oscars
- ‘Period. End of Sentence’ has made it to the Oscar shortlist in the Documentary Short Subject category.
- The film is about women in India fighting against the deeply rooted stigma of menstruation and delving upon the work of real-life ‘Pad Man’ Arunachalam Muruganantham.
- India’s entry for the Foreign Language Film Category, ‘Village Rockstars’ is out of the Oscar list.
Cabinet gives nod to law amendment for Aadhaar
- The Cabinet approved amending the two existing laws to provide legal backing for seeding of biometric ID Aadhaar with mobile numbers and bank accounts.
- The Telegraph Act is being amended to provide legal backing for the issuance of mobile SIMs through Aadhaar.
- The amendment to the Prevention of Money Laundering Act will give individuals the option to link their bank accounts to Aadhaar.
International Migrants Day: 18 December
- International Migration Day is observed every year on 18 December.
- The aim of the day is to recognize the efforts, contributions, and rights of migrants worldwide.
- The theme for 2018 is ‘Migration with Dignity’.
- On this day, in 1990, the Assembly adopted the International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families.
Transgender bill passed in Lok Sabha
- On 17 November 2018, the Lok Sabha passed the ‘Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill’, 2016.
- The bill seeks to empower the transgender community by providing them with a separate identity.
- The bill also seeks to define transgenders and prohibit discrimination against them.
- The bill was introduced in the Lok Sabha in 2016.
France to introduce tax on internet firms
- France will introduce its own tax on large internet and technology companies from 1 January 2019.
- The name of the tax is ‘GAFA tax’ which was named after Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon.
- The aim of imposing the tax is to ensure that the global giants pay a fair share of taxes on their massive business operations in Europe.
CCEA approves setting up of tribal schools
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) gave its in-principle approval for setting up of Eklavya Model Residential Schools for tribals.
- The schools will be set up in every block with more than 50% Scheduled Tribes population and at least 20,000 tribal persons.
- It has also approved the constitution of an autonomous society under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs to run the schools.
NPCIL’s Kaiga Unit-1 created world record
- A 220-MW unit of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited’s (NPCIL) Kaiga Atomic Power Station has created a world record for continuous operation for 941 days.
- The previous world record of 940 days held by ‘Heysham 2’ Unit-8 of the United Kingdom.
- Earlier in October 2018, the unit surpassed the world record of 894 days for continuous operation among all pressurized heavy water reactor.
India and Maldives signed agreements
- India and Maldives inked four pacts including in the areas of cooperation in culture, agribusiness and information technology, and for easy facilitation of visas on 17 December 2018.
- The pact will also facilitate easier visa arrangements for Maldivian citizens and their families to come to India for medical treatment.
- India has a visa-free arrangement with the Maldives.
MoU with Afghanistan on education approved
- The Union cabinet approved the MoU with Afghanistan in the field of education which will allow students from that country to use courses devised in India.
- It will facilitate students and faculty of educational institutions in Afghanistan to register and use the SWAYAM courses.
- SWAYAM is a government of India programme designed to achieve access, equity and quality in education.
CCEA approves extending Ujjwala LPG scheme
- On 17 December 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the expansion of beneficiaries list under ‘Pradhan Mantri Ujjawala Yojana’.
- The scheme, launched in 2016, originally targeted giving LPG connections to mostly rural women members of below the poverty line (BPL) households.
- The list was later expanded to include all SC/ST households and forest dwellers among others.
Uday Shankar elected Vice-President of FICCI
- Uday Shankar became the Vice President of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) for the year 2018-19.
- He is currently the President of 21st Century Fox, Asia, and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Star India.
- He was also appointed as Chairman of Star and Disney India and President of The Walt Disney Asia Pacific on 13 December 2018.
IAF tested flight using blended Bio-Jet fuel
- In a first, experimental test pilot and test engineer of the Indian Air Force (IAF) flew an ‘An-32’ military transport aircraft using blended bio-jet fuel on 17 December 2018.
- The project is a combined effort of IAF, DRDO, Directorate General Aeronautical Quality Assurance (DGAQA), and CSIR-Indian Institute of Petroleum.
- The bio-jet fuel is made from Jatropha oil.
Jeff Bridges will be awarded ‘Cecil B deMille’
- Veteran actor Jeff Bridges will receive the ‘Cecil B DeMille’ award 2018 at the 76th annual Golden Globe Awards.
- The ‘Cecil B DeMille’ award is given annually to a talented individual who has made a lasting impact on the world of entertainment.
- Bridges’ first Golden Globe nomination came in 1984 for best actor in ‘Starman’.
Centre appoints Madhavi Divan as ASG
- The Central government-appointed advocate Madhavi Divan as the Additional Solicitor General (ASG) of India.
- Divan will represent the government in the Supreme Court.
- She is the third woman who has been appointed as ASG in the apex court.
- Senior advocate Indira Jaising was the first woman to be appointed as the ASG.