Current Affairs 30th December 2018 in English
December 31, 2018
Current Affairs 30th December 2018 in English
IRRI’s South Asia Regional Centre inaugurated
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the ‘International Rice Research Institute’s (IRRI) South Asia Regional Centre’ to the nation in Varanasi.
- The center will serve as a hub for rice research and training in South Asia.
- IRRI headquarters is in Manila, Philippines.
- Narendra Modi was the first Indian Prime Minister to visit IRRI headquarters in November 2017.
India submits its 6th National Report to CBD
- India submitted its Sixth ‘National Report’ to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
- The report highlights the progress India has made in achieving the 12 National Biodiversity Targets (NBT) set under the convention process.
- The report was submitted online to the CBD Secretariat during the inaugural session of the 13th National Meeting of the State Biodiversity Boards (SBBs).
Miscellaneous News- II (24-29 Dec 2018)
- Punjab’s Chief Minister Amarinder Singh released a book titled ‘Prince, Patron, and Patriarch – Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala’ on 24 December 2018.
- Maharashtra has become the first state in the country to appoint out-of-state trade representatives.
- In Assam, the third Dwijing Festival was inaugurated on the bank of Aye river at Chirang district on 27 December 2018.
Miscellaneous News- I (24-29 Dec 2018)
- ‘Sadaiv Atal’, the memorial of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, was inaugurated in Delhi on 25 December 2018.
- India successfully test-fired its nuclear-capable long-range ‘Agni-IV’ on 23 December 2018.
- The tsunami struck coastal towns of Indonesia’s Sunda Strait on 22 December 2018.
Government Policies & Schemes (24-29 Dec 2018)
- ‘Atal Ayushman Uttarakhand Yojana’, which will provide a medical cover of Rs 5 Lakhs, was launched in Uttarakhand on 25 December 2018.
- The Union Cabinet approved the Gaganyaan project costing Rs.10000 crores, under which a three-member crew will be sent to space for at least seven days.
- Maharashtra government launched Atal Bihari Vajpayee International Schools in Mumbai on 25 December 2018.
Places in News (24-29 Dec 2018)
- The ‘Buddhist site’ museum was inaugurated at Lalitgiri in Odisha on 24 December 2018.
- India’s first music museum will be set up with assistance from the Central government in Thiruvaiyaru, Tamilnadu.
- India’s longest rail-cum-road bridge – Bogibeel Bridge was inaugurated in Assam on 25 December 2018.
- International Camel festival will be held at Bikaner in Rajasthan from 12 Jan 2019.
Science & Technology (24-29 Dec 2018)
- Researchers have developed the world’s smallest tic-tac-toe game board by using dynamic DNA origami tiles.
- Researchers have discovered a new exotic planet, HD219134 b, outside the solar system in the constellation ‘Cassiopeia’.
- SpaceX successfully launched the US Air Force’s first Global Positioning System (GPS) III satellite, nicknamed ‘Vespucci’, on 23 December 2018.
National Affairs (24-29 Dec 2018)
- President Ramnath Kovind issued orders for constituting a separate High Court for Andhra Pradesh with effect from January 1, 2019.
- Train 18, has now officially become India’s fastest train, which ran at a speed of 180 kilometers per hour during a trial run.
- The Delhi Police became the first police force in the country to digitize all malkhanas.
India and World (24-29 Dec 2018)
- The first meeting of the Follow-up Committee for implementation of the Trilateral Chabahar Agreement between India, Afghanistan, and Iran was held in Chabahar in Iran on 24 December 2018.
- ‘India Ports Global Limited’ company took over the operations of Chabahar port.
- Nepal imposed a monthly limit (Rs 1 Lakh) on the amount of Indian currency its citizen can spend in India.
Indexes and Reports (24-29 Dec 2018)
- World Bank published the report titled ‘In the Dark: How Much Do Power Sector Distortions Cost South Asia’.
- NITI Aayog released the ‘Second Delta Ranking’ of the Aspirational Districts Programme (ADP) on December 27, 2018.
- As per the Public Enterprises Survey 2017-18, Indian Oil Corporation, ONGC, and NTPC emerged as the top three most profitable Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) in 2017-18.
Sports News- I (24-29 Dec 2018)
- Wrestler Bala Rafique Shaikh won the ‘Maharashtra Kesari’ title on 23 December 2018.
- Real Madrid won the ‘FIFA Club World Cup 2018’ in United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 23 December 2018.
- Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting was formally inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame on 26 December 2018.
- Belgium ended the year at the top of the FIFA rankings, released on 20 December 2018.
International News (24-29 Dec 2018)
- Burundi government declared Gitega as the country’s new political capital.
- Turkmenistan launched its first messaging app, ‘BizBarde’, on 24 December 2018.
- Thailand became the first country in Southeast Asia to allow the use of marijuana for medical use and research.
- Pakistan’s cabinet has approved the issuance of first-ever renminbi-denominated ‘Panda Bonds’.
Appointments- II (24-29 Dec 2018)
- CA Kuttappa has taken over as India’s Chief boxing coach on 26 December 2018.
- Indian-American Rajesh Subramaniam was named as the President and Chief Executive Officer of U.S. multinational courier delivery giant FedEx Express.
- Ambika Prasad Panda was appointed as Chairman and Managing Director of South Eastern Coalfields Limited (SECL).
Appointments- I (24-29 Dec 2018)
- B V P Rao was elected as President of the Archery Association of India (AAI) on 22 December 2018.
- Sangeeta Verma has joined the Competition Commission of India (CCI) as its member on 24 December 2018.
- P V Bharathi has been appointed as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation Bank on 24 December 2018.
Business and Economy ( 24-29 Dec 2018)
- The RBI constituted a six-member committee, headed by former RBI Governor Bimal Jalan, to review the ‘Economic Capital Framework’.
- The RBI launched a ‘Survey on Retail Payment Habits of Individuals’ on 26 December 2018.
- India’s fiscal deficit touched 114.8% of the full-year target of Rs. 6.24 lakh crore at the end of November 2018 on account of lower revenue collection.
Person in News ( 24-29 Dec 2018)
- Indian woman Vedangi Kulkarni has become the fastest Asian to cycle the globe.
- America’s Mikaela Shiffrin became the youngest woman to win 50 World Cup ski races with victory in the slalom in the French Alps.
- Colin O’Brady, an American adventurer, has become the first person to complete a solo trek across Antarctica without the assistance of any kind.
Awards and Honours- II ( 24-29 Dec 2018)
- Chamba’s Superintendent of Police Monika Bhutunguru was conferred with the ‘Champion of Change’ award by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu.
- ‘Finding Beauty in Garbage’ received the Best Short documentary film award in ‘Asia South East International Short Film Festival’ in Cambodia.
- Croatia football captain Luka Modric was named ‘Balkan Athlete of the Year’.
Days and Events- II ( 24-29 Dec 2018)
- The 106th Indian Science Congress will be held on 3 January 2019 at Lovely Professional University in Punjab.
- The 42nd Indian Social Science Congress was inaugurated by Manipur Governor Dr. Najma Heptulla in Bhubaneswar on 27 December 2018.
Days and Events- I ( 24-29 Dec 2018)
- National Consumer Day is observed in India every year on 24 December.
- Good Governance Day is observed annually on 25th December, the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The 26th National Children’s Science Congress was inaugurated by the Odisha’s Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar on 27 December 2018.
|Latest Govt Jobs||Click Here|
|Upcoming Jobs||Click Here|
|Admit Card||Click Here|
|Answer – Key||Click Here|
|Current Affairs||Click Here|
|State Wise Jobs||Click Here|
%d bloggers like this: