Current Affairs 5 December 2018
December 5, 2018
Current Affairs 5 December 2018
Swapna Barman appointed as Brand Ambassador
- State Bank of India (SBI) has appointed Swapna Barman as Brand Ambassador for its digital app ‘YONO’ on 3 December 2018.
- YONO, the bank’s digital platform that makes both lifestyle and banking available through a single app, was launched in 2017.
- Swapna Barman won the gold medal in Heptathlon in Jakarta Asian Games 2018.
Kylian Mbappe won best young player trophy
- French footballer Kylian Mbappe was named the winner of the ‘Kopa Trophy’ at the Ballon d’Or ceremony in Paris on 3 December 2018.
- The trophy is given to the best young football player under 21 years of age.
- He is the first-ever winner of the trophy.
- The new award was named after the former Ballon d’Or winner Raymond Kopa.
Delhi Daredevils renamed as ‘Delhi Capitals’
- Delhi Daredevils was renamed as ‘Delhi Capitals’ on 4 December 2018.
- Parth Jindal, representing JSW Sport, and Kiran Kumar Grandhi of GMR are the Co-owners of ‘Delhi Capitals’.
- Shreyas Iyer will be the captain of ‘Delhi Capitals’.
- Australian great Ricky Ponting is the coach the ‘Delhi Capitals’.
Budapest to host 2023 Athletics Championships
- The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced that Budapest will host the ‘World Athletics Championship’ in 2023.
- Budapest has twice hosted the IAAF world indoor championships and the European athletics championships.
- The 2019 ‘World Athletics Championship’ will be held in Doha and the 2021 edition in Eugene, Oregon.
- Budapest is the capital of Hungary.
RBI to inject Rs 10,000 cr through OMO
- The Reserve Bank of India will inject Rs 10,000 crore into the banking system through purchase of government securities on 6 December 2018 to increase liquidity.
- The purchase will be made through Open Market Operations (OMOs).
- The RBI also announced auction of ‘Cash Management Bill’.
- Cash Management Bill is short term instrument to meet the temporary cash flow mismatches of the Government.
RBI left key interest rate unchanged
- The Reserve Bank of India’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) kept the repo rate unchanged at 6.5% on 5 December 2018.
- The reverse repo rate was also kept unchanged at 6.5%.
- Repo rate is the rate at which the RBI lends to other banks.
- This means that home loan and car loan rates will not change.
- The six-member Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is headed by RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
International Volunteer Day: 5 December
- International Volunteer Day (IVD) is observed every year on 5 December.
- It is an international observance mandated by the UN General Assembly in 1985.
- The theme for IVD 2018 is ‘Volunteers build Resilient Communities’.
- IVD is a chance for individual volunteers, communities and organisations to promote their contributions to development at the local, national and international levels.
Kipchoge and Ibarguen won IAAF awards
- Marathon world-record holder Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya and Colombian long jumper Caterine Ibarguen won the ‘IAAF Athletes of the Year’ awards on 4 December 2018.
- Kipchoge had set a new marathon world record in Berlin in September 2018.
- Ibarguen had won the long and triple jumps at the Central American and Caribbean Games, the IAAF Continental Cup, and at the IAAF Diamond League finals in 2018.
Government of India notifies dual-fuel usage
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has notified dual-fuel usage for agricultural and construction equipment vehicles.
- These include tractors, power tillers, construction equipment vehicles and combine harvesters which have originally been manufactured as dual- fuel with diesel as the primary fuel
- This move will help in reducing both cost and pollution.
Gangotri, Yamunotri included under ‘PRASAD’
- The government of India has included Gangotri and Yamunotri in Uttrarakhand, Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh and Parasnath in Jharkhand under the ‘Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive’ (PRASAD) scheme.
- ‘PRASAD’ is a central scheme to develop pilgrimage and heritage destinations in the country.
- PRASAD scheme was launched by the Ministry of Tourism.
Indian Navy to conduct ‘TROPEX’ from Jan 2019
- The Indian Navy will be conducting its flagship ‘Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise’ (TROPEX) from January 2019.
- The aim of the exercise is to test the combat capability of the Indian Navy, Indian Army, Indian Air Force, and Coast Guard
- As part of TROPEX, the Indian Navy will also be conducting a large-scale coastal defence exercise ‘Exercise Sea Vigil’.
MoU signed b/w Maharashtra and Bahrain
- The Economic Development Board (EDB) of Bahrain signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Maharashtra Government on 4 December 2018.
- The MoU has been signed to provide a framework for Co-operation between the two authorities to promote ‘FinTech’ in their respective markets.
- This collaboration will identify new areas of growth within the financial services sector.
Defence Min on a 5-day official visit to US
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is on an official visit to the United States of America from December 02-07, 2018.
- During the meeting, discussions were held on the growing partnership between India and US in the defence sphere.
- She also paid respect at the ‘Tomb of the Unknown Soldier’ by laying a wreath at the Arlington National Cemetery Memorial.
PM to inaugurate Bogibeel bridge on Dec 25
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the ‘Bogibeel Bridge’ on Brahmaputra river on 25 December 2018.
- It is India’s longest rail-cum-road bridge connecting Dibrugarh in Assam to Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh.
- It is 4.94 km long and 32 metres above the water level of the Brahmaputra.
- It has been constructed by the Indian Railways.
India and UAE signed two agreements
- India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have signed two agreements, including one on currency swap on 4 December 2018.
- Currency Swap is such a pact between two countries that allows trading in their own currency and payments to import and export trade at pre-determined exchange rate.
- The second agreement would enable both sides to undertake development projects in Africa.
‘Blue Waters Ahoy!’ book released
- Admiral Sunil Lanba, chief of the Naval Staff, released a book titled ‘Blue Waters Ahoy!’.
- It tells Indian Navy’s History from 2001-10.
- It was unveiled on the occasion of the Indian Navy Day, celebrated every year on 04 December 2018.
- The book is authored by Vice Admiral Anup Singh, who retired as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Eastern Naval Command in 2011.
‘GSAT-11’ launched from French Guiana
- ISRO’s heaviest and most-advanced high throughput communication satellite ‘GSAT-11’ was launched from French Guiana.
- It is also known as ‘Big Bird’.
- The launch vehicle ‘Ariane 5 VA-246’ carried India’s ‘GSAT-11’ along with South Korea’s ‘GEO-KOMPSAT-2A’ satellite.
- The 5,854-kg ‘GSAT-11’ will provide high data rate connectivity through 32 user beams in Ku-band and 8 hub beams in Ka-band.
World Soil Day observed on 5 December
- World Soil Day is observed every year on 5 December.
- The aim of the day is to focus attention on the importance of healthy soil and advocating for the sustainable management of soil resources.
- The theme for World Soil Day 2018 is ‘Be the Solution to Soil Pollution’.
Swadesh Darshan proj. inaugurated in Nagaland
- Project ‘Development of Tribal Circuit: Peren-Kohima-Wokha Project’ was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Nagaland, Shri Neiphiu Rio.
- This is the first project to be implemented in the state under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
- Under the project the ministry has developed facilities like tribal tourist village, open-air theatre, cafeteria, helipad etc.
MoU between Railways & Madame Tussauds Museum
- Ministry of Railways’ National Rail Museum (NRM) and Madame Tussauds Wax Museum joined hands to provide an amazing combo offer to Delhi NCR tourists.
- As a part of the collaboration, a special discount will be given by both museums.
- It is envisaged that this innovative, first time ever, public-private museum collaboration, shall attract more tourists to both the museums.